All students will meet in the Attic for snacks and some sharing time before we divide into our 3 groups at 10am.
The 3 options for October 5 are:
- How do we know the Bible is true? - I'm teaching this 4 week series that teaches how we got the Bible and why we believe it's true.
- Spiritual Gifts - Temi and Matt are teaching this 2 week series that will help students learn what their gifts are, how to use them, and what kind of gifts we need for our church to run successfully!
- Journalling - Jasmin will be teaching this 2 week series on how to journal while we read the Bible and pray. Journals will be provided for all students.
Here is a recap of this past week's lesson... How to Study your Bible - week 3
First, we reviewed the previous lessons, including all steps to take for Bible study:
- Prepare your heart - pray before you read, consider what you want to learn and what questions you have
- Prepare your surroundings - find a comfy spot with good lighting and no disctractions, choose a time of day that works for you, gather useful supplies such as pens, highlighters, a notebook, other book resources if needed, etc.
- Get familar with your Bible - learn where the table of contents, book descriptions, character studies, passage notes, maps, timelines, reading charts, and other resources are in your study Bible.
- Choose what to read - choose a topic or book, use a reading guide, or read with a friend or study group.
- Read the passage - read the passage once through. Think of questions and things you don't know
- Re-read the passage - look for answers to your questions, consider the 'big points' and 'deeper points' to think about, find defintions for words you don't know, etc.
- Apply to your life - spend some time thinking and praying about ways to apply what you read to your life.
We focused on the last 3 steps this week. Students worked in groups to read passages in James together, then re-read using their notes and resources. We also spent some time talking about the dangers of reading but not applying to our lives - the timing worked well with Pastor Stef's sermon after!
And that's it! Now students can read the book of James each week and understand more and more what's in the book. Happy reading, and don't forget to put your name in the "James Jar" if you read the whole book in one sitting this week!