Date: April 22-23 – event runs from 7pm on Friday to 10am on Saturday; fasting lasts 30 hours (6am Friday until noon on Saturday)
Location: Bethany Baptist Church and the Downtown Eastside (for our service project)
Goal: We are aiming to raise $1000 as a group. Participants must raise a minimum of $50 to participate in the event – and we have prizes for those who raise $100, $150, $200, and $250+!
Cause: Child Protection – working to fight child trafficking/sex slavery, child soldiers, etc. while providing opportunities to grow up healthy – physically, mentally, and emotionally. Our Student Leadership Team chose this cause as a contrast to our own culture and safety.
Fasting: We are giving up our smart phones from 6am on Friday to noon on Saturda (includes social media and texting). Participants who don’t own smart phones can choose to give up social media, TV, iPods, or something else tech-related. We chose this over fasting from food because we often take the privilege of technology for granted – we have all the world’s knowledge at our fingertips on a daily basis!
1. Go to famine.ca and register online as part of our group (Bethany Youth Ministry). This is optional, but a great way to collect online donations from friends and family!
2. Ask friends and family to donate. Record donations on the pledge form that’s included in your package ($15+ gets them a tax receipt!). Collect cash and cheques in an envelope and bring those donations with you to our event – we will convert them to online donations so you don’t have the hassle.
3. If you would like to collect online donations (a great option if donors don’t live nearby), send the link to your online page so they can donate by credit card. No need to record those donations on your paper pledge form.
4. Bring your donation envelope and permission form to the event – we will tally up the donations (including what’s on your online page) and will hand out prizes and announce the total at the end of our event!
What to expect at the event:
Meet at 7pm as usual in the Attic - for the first few hours, we will have games and activities planned, including a service project (making lunches for the homeless - we will also be delivering these together). Once the other church groups clear out, we will play some indoor night games and then open up some activity rooms (e.g. video games, movies, etc.). Lights out is 2am with the exception of video games, which will likely run all night. We have separate rooms for guys and girls to sleep in and will provide breakfast the next morning before everyone heads home. Please note that this event is over after breakfast but your fasting runs until noon!
What to bring:
- Pledge form, permission form and donations
- Sleeping bag and pillow
- PJs and extra clothes
- Activities, games, movies etc.
- Snacks (optional - we will have an evening snack and breakfast and will also run concession)
What not to bring:
- Whatever you are fasting from (phone, iPod, etc.). If you need to call a parent, you can use our youth room phone :) We will also have some normal cameras to take photos.