Thursday, July 25, 2013

Getting to know our Intern!

Here's our first guest post in a long time.... coming to you from the "desk" (he was sitting on the couch in my office) of Daniel!


So being the new kid on the block there are a lot of unknowns and a lot of exciting opportunities that are going to come my way here at Bethany Baptist Church. So far it has been really fun getting to learn the culture of this church and how everything runs. Now it is time for me to see how I with my skillset can fit into the dynamics of the church.

First off, my name is Daniel Sandison and I came from Sunshine Ridge Baptist Church which I attended for about 6 years. Going to the youth group there is what really inspired me to get involved in youth ministry, because I know how large of an impact that youth made on my spiritual growth.  I love getting to meet with various youth/college and career, because it gives me the chance to get to know them on a personal level. Along with that I get to learn from them and hopefully be able to give them someone to just listen and care.
 I feel called and inspired to raise young leaders from the youth age group because that generation is the next group of leaders for the church. I’d like to say that I enjoy being a bit of a visionary. I love to think of fun and new ways to draw youth closer to God and to build a tight-knit community of strong Christians so that they can keep each other accountable. The age range for youth kids comes at a really testing time where the kids have to figure out for themselves who they really are and what their worldview is going to be. I believe that this is the most important age group because they are so influential.

When it comes to what I feel I can offer Bethany Baptist Church is my ability to take leadership on the fly and in any area that is needed. I get excited about challenges and being pushed, because how else am I going to grow? My passion is music and so that is the way that I best communicate my praise to God. So I am looking forward to developing the worship ministry for youth and to help youth to get more comfortable in using their skills to help others focus on God through music. One other way that I feel that I can help the youth here at Bethany is that I love to just get down and dirty and have a crazy good time. I remember when I was in youth and that the fact that my youth pastor was willing to do crazy things with me and to have tons of fun on my level helped me connect with him way better. For some kids youth is the one place they can be themselves and are able to completely let loose and have a good time. So I want to be right there with them having fun.

I know I am still relatively young and have a lot to learn but I am willing to take any experience as a learning one. I will help the youth to the best of my ability and do my best to base all of my advice to them on what the Bible says because humanly our logic is flawed. I long to be able to just take some time to sit down with all of the youth and to be able to share my past experiences, my successes and failures. If anyone has any questions for me or would like to get to know me better, feel free to contact me! My email is dsandison@bethanybaptist.bc.ca or call the church office for my cell number. God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment