Our lesson was about TREES because it's always great to start the year with a reminder of why we do what we do. For those of you unfamiliar with the acronym, TREES stands for teaching, relating, evangelizing, exalting, and serving - the five areas we focus on at Bethany. For each letter, we did some Bible drills (I call out a verse and the students try and find it first because the winner reads the verse and gets a candy), discussed a few questions about the letter, and then each student wrote a prayer for that letter on bright paper, which we then taped to a cross. The cross is now extremely full of neon-prayers for different areas of our ministry and other areas of Bethany - I think I'm going to keep it in my new office :)
Parents, here are a few questions you could ask your kids about TREES:
- Teaching: What questions do your friends ask you about God?
- Relating: Why is it important to have friends who share your faith?
- Exalting: Why does God want us to worship Him and why does He deserve it?
- Evangelizing: Why does God command that we share our faith with others?
- Serving: Why does God command us to help other people?