Tuesday, September 06, 2011

Ah, September, my dear old friend

Well, I can't believe it's already the first day of school - the summer flew by!

Since I started working at the church, my favourite month has become September. I used to love the summer, but it can be awful dull work-wise, whereas September is so exciting and new, with plenty to keep me busy. I love hearing about school from our kids - the new clothes, new crushes, good teachers and (ugh! my pet peeve) the bad teachers. I love planning the kick-off event for youth, going to the cornmaze, switching to flannel sheets, stocking up on hot chocolate, and settling in for a nice evening with a new novel.

As a ministry worker, I see something else in September that many others do not - I see a new mission field, new opportunities to make friends with the lost, new ways to tell our peers about Jesus. My challenge to all of our students in BBC Youth is to look for ways to share your faith with your friends and peers at school! Starting a new school year is exciting (in some ways - I realize it isn't exciting to get up early and have homework!) because what it really is is a fresh start. Please be thinking about who you can share the Good News with this school year! Pay attention to who God is putting in your path in the coming months and look for ways to build relationships with them and share your faith with them. The vast majority of people who become Christians do so in their teenage years - now is the time to act! It can be scary and intimidating to share our faith with others - especially in high school with the pressure to fit in. Just remember that in the end, you may be the only person in your friends' lives who is ever brave enough to share Jesus with them!

One great way to share your faith is to invite your friends to youth. It takes off the pressure of doing too much talking (which rarely works) but gives your friends the chance to meet other Christians, fellowship with you and your church friends, and get introduced to Jesus on Friday nights. Our kick-off is on September 16th, so you have plenty of time to invite your friends! My challenge is for each of our regular attendees to bring at least ONE new friend to youth that night. I would LOOOOOVE to see 100+ kids jammed into the Attic! How crazy would that be!?


Here is a list of our upcoming events:

September 16 (7-9pm) - Kick-Off Friday - details are TBA but come with your friends, and be ready to play some games, get to know each other, have some snacks and hopefully win one of many of our sweet raffle prizes!

September 23 (6:30-9:30pm) - Corn Maze - bring boots, warm clothes, a flashlight, and $7 to get in. You must sign up (email/Facebook me or call the church) by September 20th. We are looking for parent drivers! All adult chaperones get in for free :)

September 30 (7-9pm) - Alive! - it's our first Alive of the season - hopefully some of your friends can come to one of the first two events and will feel comfortable coming to Alive. It is a night of worship, games, lots of snacks, a message (the theme is friendship - no hardcore Christianese theology here!) and discussion - all aimed at non-Christians who have questions about what it means to follow Jesus.


For any more info or questions, please call me at the church or email me at aschmidke@bethanybaptist.bc.ca.

CAN'T WAIT until that kick-off!
Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment